One of the Hollywood’s A-list actresses, the extremely talented, down-to-earth and gorgeous Kate Winslet who is also the recipient of several accolades including British Academy Award, the Academy, Emmy and Grammy Awards. Kate was born on 5 October 1975 in Reading, Berkshire, England. At the age of 15, she had her first screen appearance in the British television series Dark Season (1991). The English actress began her film career in Hollywood with the movie Heavenly Creatures (1994) which was a critical breakthrough for the actress. And since, Kate has only been mesmerizing the audience with her talents, making perfect movie choices and portraying strong characters. The Time magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2009.
Although we know a lot about our favorite actress, there are some things we miss out. So here are 15 interesting and lesser known facts about Kate Winslet:
1. Kate keeps her best actress Oscar award in the bathroom!
The reason she does that is because anybody who visits her and go to her bathroom can spend a few private moments with it, picking it up and then give thank you speeches that they may not actually say out loud otherwise.
2. The epic romance Titanic was the highest-grossing film of all time to that point; Kate refused to go the blockbuster route and rather chose critically acclaimed period pieces which were not widely seen, including Quills (2000) and Iris (2001).
3. She missed the premiere of Titanic in 1997 and that was because she was attending the funeral of her close friend and former boyfriend, Stephen Tredre.
4. he brings homemade biscuits to interviews, according to The Guardian.
5. How Kate has been outspoken about her refusal to allow Hollywood to dictate her weight is known to all. But did you know that in the year 2003, GQ magazine issued an apology to Kate Winslet after she said that the photographs of her published by the magazine were digitally altered to make her look taller and thinner without her consent.
6. In 2003, Kate also won a defamation case against Grazia magazine after it claimed she had visited a dietitian and the amount she claimed in damages was donated to an eating disorder charity. Again in 2009, she won another case against the British tabloid Daily Mail after it claimed she had lied about her exercise regimen. Kate received an apology and a payout of £25,000.
7. During the interview on Good Morning America, while promoting her film The Holiday (2006), they surprised her by showing a clip which was supposedly Kate on the 1987 Sugar Puff Commercial. However, the girl in the clip shown was not her. But she did not point out the error because Kate didn’t want to embarrass the researcher and get the person fired. Then media praised her for Kate’s caring and consideration of other people.
8. Kate’s children refer to her very close friend, Leonardo DiCaprio, as “Uncle Leo”. (And of course, their friendship is one we all adore, a lot.) He also bought her an inscribed gold ring, after they filmed Revolutionary Road (2008) which however, she keeps the inscription a secret.
9. In December 26, 2012, Kate announced that she and Ned Rocknroll married in a secret ceremony in New York with just Winslet’s children, Mia and Joe, and 6 friends present.
And guess who gave the bride away? Leonardo DiCaprio.(Heart-meltingly Sweeeeeet).
10. Kate is the third person in history to win two Golden Globe Awards in the same year (Best Actress, Drama for Revolutionary Road (2008) and Best Supporting Actress for The Reader (2008).
11. She is one of the13 actresses to have won the Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Critics’ Choice Award, Golden Globe Award and SAG Award for the same performance.
12. She has appeared on over 300 magazine covers around the world.
13. Kate became the third youngest actress (at age 40) to have received seven Academy Award nominations, behind Bette Davis (age 34) and Meryl Streep (age 38).
14. And like any other mother in the world, Kate is also a loving and devoted mother to her 3 children besides being the one of the greatest actresses in Hollywood.
15. After her first success in the film Heavenly Creatures (1994), a reviewer predicted that she would always be associated with that character and would never be a big star. Well, well, well… ! We can see how that poor prediction was completely wrong about Kate.